I have a love hate relationship with food at the moment. My enthusiasm with eating healthy has run into a bit of a roadblock. Guess it happens with everything in life, but I can see where it would be extremely easy to ditch the efforts and hit up a drive thru after class. Thankfully when I do have food not prepared by me, it has been rare & a lot healthier than I used to grab. Dare say that I even have done the ice tea completely unsweetened a few times & even enjoyed it. Still sticking with it but every meal is a test in my determination to get healthy & leave bad habits behind. It isn’t that I miss some food in particular or am hungry. Just get frustrated trying to finish up the semester and constantly be hitting up the grocery store, preparing food or trying to plan out what to eat next to stay within the day’s goals.
Dating has also been a challenge since it seems most dates involve food at some point. Trying to get to know someone & not come across as the obsessive anorexic is hard. For the most part I don’t really want to go into the fact that I am trying to eat healthy due to crappy medical tests results, that just makes me feel a tad like damaged goods. I’m not looking for sympathy or opinions on my diet. Also I don’t want to be always scared to dine out but many places aren’t exactly great choices so when I do I end up eating less than the portion or (gasp) a salad and looking like one of those girls that is afraid to eat in front of a guy. Nope just afraid to eat in general at the moment! For the most part it is just trying to keep my calories & carbs at levels that are healthy for me.
So far so good, but each day is a renewal of the commitment.
Hey I am worth it!
that I just couldn’t live without right now.
5. Zucchini – Sliced, diced, spirals from the veggetti, it just all works. Pasta is a downfall and finding this substitute was key to sticking within my target carb range. I admit I was skeptical but it didn’t take much to win me over.
4. Spinach – raw or gently wilted it seems to go great with everything.
3. Hummus – Topped on chicken, straight up on carrot sticks, or put the garlicy mush with some shredded veggies in a wrap just feel like heaven not healthy. The various flavor varieties keeps it fresh although the red pepper may always be my favorite.
2. Oatmeal – quick, cheap, easy & full of fiber. How can you go wrong? Unless you get the stuff with massive loads of sugar added. I don’t but I do go for the high fiber stuff and add chia seeds to give it an extra nutritional punch.
1. Berries – Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cherries… basically any and all fruit is my favorite go to food, but berries hold a special place in my heart. They just are so delicious right now and being able to easily adjust serving sized is a bonus! They are the candy of nature & I just may happen to be addicted. (No rehab needed)
& of course water! Drinking a lot of water has been my saving grace. Calorie free & fills you up fast.